8950 Cypress Waters Blvd, Coppell, TX 75019, USA
2.8
Interest Rate

In late 2017, after acquiring my mortgage from another lender, Nationstar aka "Mr. Cooper" set up lender-placed insurance on my home since I could not find a company willing to cover the property (on an island, fear of hurricanes, etc.). The anniversary of the policy was sometime in November 2018.

I paid off my mortgage with Nationstar late in September 2018. In anticipation of this payoff, I had begun talking to a different insurer that just so happened to be soliciting my business. A few days after the payoff was complete, I contacted Nationstar to get the particulars of my policy sent over to the new company.

Imagine my surprise when I was told my policy had been canceled at 12:01 a.m. the day after my payoff wire had arrived. Mind you, no one at Nationstar mentioned anything about policy cancellation. The company rep on the phone told me a letter had gone out to inform me of the cancellation...after the fact...postmarked four days after the payoff...and delivered a week after the cancellation.

So, what if there had been an incident in the meantime, before I had gotten new insurance in place? Thankfully the new insurer came to the rescue. In a matter of hours after learning of the cancellation, I had in force a policy with better coverage and at a lower premium.

I found Nationstar a rather dodgy outfit, playing games with escrow monies, trying to get me to refinance (at a higher rate!), etc. I later found the company has been in trouble with various AGs around the country for a variety of unsavory business practices.

Bottom line: Stay away from these clowns.

Comments